Friday, April 13, 2007

I got a package this morning and had to go to customs

For those of you that don't know, the customs officials here in Iceland bring out the worst in me. I hate going there if there is something that is not strait forward and I have to deal with them. Usually I just go with my invoice pay the VAT and go home with the newest addition to me stash, but not this morning.
I had been overcharged by a German seller due to a misunderstanding about Iceland being in the EU witch we are not. Therefore we are not required to pay VAT in the EU but pay it in Iceland instead, so he refunded the VAT that he had charged me and this did all go smoothly and I got my next order almost free due to the refund I had.
BUT explaining this to the customs officials even tho I had an invoice and a Credit Note was a whole other matter. I lost it pretty badly and told them that the only thing that I could compare to going there and have to deal with them would be taking a trip to hell.
I told told them that I didn't understand why they assumed that you were lying to them and I didn't like that, I probably said a few other words of wisdom as well ;-)
I also got packages from China and the US and had to explain them, one was a few hooks that had been missing from my order of knitting needles from China and the other was a package of Chinese yarn that I don't have a clue why I was getting as I had gotten all the yarn from this seller previously. I told them that and said that they should just keep it as it was not worth the bother. I also got a present from the US and they found this very suspicious but I guess that I am allowed to have friends because they let me have this package.
Acutally I got the hooks, the present and the Chinese yarn on my first trip to the customs, I guess they didn't like to upset me any further about the Chinese yarn after I hissed at one of them as he sliced open the package and damaged one of the balls.
After sending of 4 emails, 2 phone calls and printing out everything except a report on my love life I went to the customs office again and this time I got the German package, the customs official that I dealt with this time was actually nice and had a humor because he just handed me the package and said that now I could not say that they were not sometimes nice ;-)

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

ROFL! You rule!
So was it all yarn that you were getting this time? Any fabric? ;)

Anonymous said...

You just made my day

Bubba said...

aumingja tollararnir.

Anonymous said...

Greyið tollararnir ég finn næstum til með þeim hehe. En bara næstum...

Rebecca said...

Customs is just ridiculous. When my husband was in Iceland and I was in the US, they would insist on opening like every 4th package I sent him. It was especially annoying if it had personal letters inside that they felt the need to read, plus he would have to take the time from work to go down there. I swear they have nothing better to do with their time. It's good you finally got your stuff, though.

Sonja said...

Æj, knús. Þetta er sko eitthvað sem ég sakna ekki frá Íslandi.

En djö... langar mig að koma og prjóna með þér. Þú ert eins og vindurinn :)