Monday, March 3, 2008

Knitters and Cats

Since joining Ravelry I have discovered that lots of knitters have cats, why that is I have no idea, I guess furry purring things appeal to knitters.
Since I have the lofty aspirations to become one of those old lady's that were strange outfits and live in a house full of yarn and cats when I grow up I can totally understand this.

Lots of us have our cats as avatars and I love to see them, but when it became my turn to choose an avatar the choice was simple. I had to choose between my ugly mutt and the Cat and of course the Cat is a lot more photogenic than I am, even my mom says so!

But anyway me and the Cat had a photo beauty contest and the Cat won hands down, especially since his highness usually can be found draped over some of my luxury yarns, like the Mongolian Cashmere and the Silks and Merino lace yarn etc. Somehow I don't think that a picture of me draping myself over a large amount of pure cashmere would beat that, it would probably scare off small children and we don't want that do we.

The only problem with knitting and a Cat is that all my knitting includes cat hair, there is no way around it, it just sneaks into whatever I am knitting. So for the "lucky" recipients of my finished objects please note that they are both knitted with love AND cat hair.

That said I have been spending a lot of time on Ravelry and I have been sucked into reading threads that I could not have imagined that I would be interested in, like the dreaded Copyright issue. Someone would say that this would be a very intellectual debate with lots of legal stuff and boring as hell but it is sooo much more. This is usually the treads where some heavy duty mud slinging takes place, it only takes one member to say something like "if the pattern is out of print I see no harm in copying it for a friend" and off we go, everybody and their brother on their high horses.

Personally I like to buy my patterns and I know a lot about the does and dont's of copyrights but I can also understand that not all people have this knowledge and I am not personally offended if someone is clueless about it, but that just me.

I also spend a good amount of my Ravelry time looking at other peoples projects and some days I just want to hide my needles and yarn I feel so unworthy when looking at all those amazing things knitters have made. But usually I just make a resolution to be a better knitter, someday.....

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I had to ROFL at the image of you draping yourself over your yarn and having that as your display picture! You crack me up. And I miss you. We need to get together durring Easter (I am going to NY on the 12th) or something. Dinner and stitching/knitting?