Friday, March 14, 2008

Knitting on the edge

I like to knit dangerously, this means amongst other things that I sometimes start projects without being sure if I have enough yarn to finish them.

I came very close to disaster this week when I knit the Baby Sweater on Two Needles from Knitter's Almanac. When all knitting was done and the buttons sewed on I only had a tiny, tiny bit left.

I have always wanted to make this sweater but I have found it to be a bit wide especially the sleeves. So when I took into account that I would probably not have enough yarn I fudged a bit. I omitted the second pattern repeat increase on the sleeves and body. I like the outcome and it suited the yarn Emily from Posh Yarn and needles #4.5 fine. I even found buttons in my button jar for the sweater.


I am also knitting on the Garden Party shawl and I finished with the body of the shawl and now I have to knit the edging. This shawl is a fun knit and I highly recommend it since it's constructed a lot differently than most shawls. I have been trying out some things whit the start of the border but have not decided on the final solution.

1 comment:

fleegle said...

Great minds thing alike. I just bought the yarn for Garden Party.

And I might be groveling at your feet if I get to the end of the Spring shawl and need a couple of hundred yards of Japanese Maple to finish. The pattern says 2100 yards and I have a cone of 2400, but that makes me uneasy. I like LOTS leftover

Pretty sweater! Very sweet color and I do like the yoke.